3 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Member #610488's Note:
This vegetarian recipe is from a farmer's market in London, England. Traditionally a minced meat and mashed potato casserole, Shepherd's Pie originates in rural Britain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, roasted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 6 yukon gold potatoes, boiled but not peeled
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup smooth goat cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- 2Cut the spaghetti squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash on a baking sheet and bake for 1 1/2 hours. As an alternative, place on a plate and cook in the microwave on high power for about 20 minutes.
- 3Put the garlic head on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and put in the oven for 30 minutes or until the garlic is very tender.
- 4In a bowl, mix the bread crumbs with the milk. Let stand for 5 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Mix in the pine nuts, the eggs, basil, thyme, and parsley. Put aside.
- 5Mash the potatoes with the butter, goat cheese, cooked garlic puree and cream to make them nice and smooth. Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
- 6Remove the spaghetti squash flesh with a fork and put it in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper and put aside.
- 7Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- 8The vegetables: Heat the remaining oil in a large pan and saute the onions, carrots and celery over medium heat until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and continue cooking until brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Add the cooked lentils and the reserved bread crumb mixture. Stir and put aside.
- 9In an 8 by 11-inch/20 by 28-cm baking dish, spoon the vegetable mixture onto the bottom. Layer with the spaghetti squash, then the mashed potatoes and smooth them down. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes or so, until the top is slightly browned. Garnish with fried shallots, to taste.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmer's Market Shepherd's Pie
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 615.4
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 13.2 g
- Cholesterol 106.7 mg
- Sodium 329.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 19.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: