1/2 Photos of Farmer's Market, No Fry, Eggplant Parmesan
1 hr 15 mins
Vicki in CT's Note:
Just visit your local farmer's market this time of year to pick up almost everything you need for this fresh tasting eggplant parm. The idea here is add whatever ingredients look fresh at the market.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 small eggplant
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 bell peppers, diced (select whatever looks good, either bell or hot or a combination-I prefer hot as bell can be bitter)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or more)
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 -10 basil leaves, torn
- salt, to taste
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- seasoned bread crumbs
- mozzarella cheese, good quality fresh
- shaved parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch rounds. Salt both sides and set on paper towels to drain moisture. Let set for 30 minutes. Blot dry.
- 3Meanwhile, heat oil to medium and saute peppers, pepper flakes, and garlic. Heat until limp. Add wine. Reduce. Add tomatoes and oregano.
- 4Stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in basil. Season to taste with salt.
- 5While tomatoes are cooking, dip eggplant into flour and shake off excess. Discard flour. In same bowl add breadcrumbs. Dip flour coated eggplant into beaten egg, then bread crumbs.
- 6Place in single layer on cookie sheet, or better yet a cookie drying grate on top of a cookie sheet. Bake at 375°F for 25 minutes until crisp.
- 7Using a loaf pan sprayed with Pam, layer a spoonful of sauce. Top with a layer of cooked eggplant. Spread more sauce and top with more eggplant. (I get three slices of eggplant per layer).
- 8Top with mozzarella then another layer of sauce. Top with more eggplant, then cheese then sauce. Repeat one more time giving you four layers. Top with remaining sauce.
- 9Bake for 20 minutes.
- 10Top with good quality parmesan. Bake 10 more minutes. Remove from oven and let set for 10 minutes. Cut into four sections of layers.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farmer's Market, No Fry, Eggplant Parmesan
Serving Size: 1 (455 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 144.3
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 46.5 mg
- Sodium 34.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 5.7 g