Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Another recipe cut from the newspaper. I've always used ricotta when making this and my family absolutely loves it.
- 7⁄8 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup minced red bell pepper
- 2⁄3 cup minced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups farmer cheese or 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh herbs, such as parsley and thyme
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F Butter two 2-by-8-by-4-inch loaf pans.
- Heat the butter in a small skillet over low heat.
- Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- Beat the farmers cheese with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the milk and eggs one at a time and beat until each is incorporated.
- Add the bell pepper mixture and beat until combined.
- Combine the corn meal, flour, sugar, herbs, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl.
- Reduce the speed on the mixer to low.
- Slowly add the corn meal mixture until combined.
- Divide the batter between the 2 loaf pans and bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden.
- Allow to cool 30 minutes before inverting the pan to remove the bread.