Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
This wonderful casserole is the best 'breakfast casserole' I have ever eaten. It could easily be served at any time of day. I first ate it at a Wedding Shower and could hardly wait for the bride's mother to get the recipe for me from the Aunt who lived in another state. I am posting the recipe exactly as I received it...however I would personally increase the salt to 1 teaspoon instead of the 1/4th teaspoon since I remember adding salt when I ate it before.
- 3 cups frozen hash browns
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1 cup cubed cooked ham
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, well chopped
- 4 well beaten eggs
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Grease 2 quart rectangular baking dish.
- Arrange potatoes evenly on bottom of baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cheese, ham, onions.
- Combine milk and eggs and seasonings.
- Pour over potatoes and cheese.
- Refrigerate over night.
- Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes until set.
- Let rest 5 minute.
9/9/07 I have been making this for over 15 years and it is awesome. I always use pepper jack cheese because I found anything else to lack flavor in this dish. I have served this for brunches and family dinner. Serve with fresh fruit salad or melon slices along with Kona Inn Banana Bread and you have a wonderful brunch meal. UPDATE: 11/09 after reading these reviews I thought I would suggest using a large pie plate. It makes for a better presentation and easier serving.
This is delicious and even wonderful the next day warmed up.
Great dinner tonight - and no work to make it because I took care of that this morning! We enjoyed this with turkey sausages and I also made a fresh fruit salad. I will make this again and maybe with some additions! Made for Best of 2012. Thanks CarrolJ! :)