Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I have been making this recipe for about 12 years. I used to make it for brunch but now I serve it for dinner as well. It is loved by all we have served it too. It's great to serve with fresh fruits and "Kona Inn Banana Bread". If using frozen, defrost first. I have used other cheeses but I find this Monterey Pepper Jack (w/ jalapenos) to work best., cheddar is too bland. NOTE & UPDATE 8/08: I grated red potatoes and the casserole turned out too wet and slimy. UGH. I would suggest purchasing the "Simply Potatoes" or using a potato that bakes up drier. Hope this makes sense.
- 3 cups potatoes, shredded, ie. Simply Potatoes in refrigerator section
- 3⁄4 cup jalapeno jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, sliced with tops
- 4 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk, not fat free
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray round 2" deep casserole or pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Arrange potatoes evenly in the bottom of the casserole.
- Sprinkle with cheese, green onions & ham.
- Combine eggs, milk, salt and pepper over potato mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes until center is set and inserted knife comes out clean.
- Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.