Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Homey, moist bread, no loaf pan needed.
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds or 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Stir together sour cream and water in small saucepan.
- Heat over low heat until temperature reaches 120 to 130 degrees.
- Combine 2 cups flour, yeast, sugar, salt and baking soda in large bowl.
- Spread sour cream mixture evenly over flour mixture with rubber spatula.
- Stir until well blended.
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, gradually adding remaining flour to prevent sticking, if necessary.
- Grease large baking sheet.
- Shape dough into ball; place eon prepared sheet.
- Flatten into 8 inch circle; brush with oil.
- Sprinkle with poppy seeds.
- Invert large bowl over dough and let rise in warm palce 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake 22 to 27 minutes or until golden brown. Remove immediately from baking sheet.