Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Eggs baked in ramekins and drizzled with cream.
Top Review by Starrynews
Wonderful variation on shirred eggs. We really liked the addition of the tomato, hot sauce and bacon. I used parsley for the herbs today, and look forward to trying it with others. Thanks for sharing!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 4 slices tomatoes (thin slices from a medium red-ripe tomato)
- 4 large eggs
- marjoram (parsley, sage, thyme, or other compatible fresh or dried herbs)
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
- 1 slice bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°; generously butter sides and bottom of 4 individual ramekins, preferably ones that hold at least ½ cup.
- Divided the bread crumbs equally among the ramekins and twirl each around so that they stick to the sides and bottom.
- Place a tomato slice in the bottom of each ramekin.
- Break an egg into each ramekin, being careful to keep the yolks unbroken.
- Sprinkle with herb or herbs of choice (if desired) and add a shot of hot sauce to each, if you wish; then pour the cream over.
- Sprinkle with bacon and then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the eggs for 8-12 minutes, depending on how firm you like your eggs (they will continue to cook a bit after you remove them from the oven); serve immediately.