Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
Eggs baked in ramekins and drizzled with cream.
Make and share this Farmer’s Market Shirred Eggs recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons dried breadcrumbs
- 4 slices tomatoes (thin slices from a medium red-ripe tomato)
- 4 large eggs
- marjoram (parsley, sage, thyme, or other compatible fresh or dried herbs)
- Tabasco sauce
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (or half-and-half)
- 1 slice bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°; generously butter sides and bottom of 4 individual ramekins, preferably ones that hold at least ½ cup.
- Divided the bread crumbs equally among the ramekins and twirl each around so that they stick to the sides and bottom.
- Place a tomato slice in the bottom of each ramekin.
- Break an egg into each ramekin, being careful to keep the yolks unbroken.
- Sprinkle with herb or herbs of choice (if desired) and add a shot of hot sauce to each, if you wish; then pour the cream over.
- Sprinkle with bacon and then season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the eggs for 8-12 minutes, depending on how firm you like your eggs (they will continue to cook a bit after you remove them from the oven); serve immediately.
Wonderful variation on shirred eggs. We really liked the addition of the tomato, hot sauce and bacon. I used parsley for the herbs today, and look forward to trying it with others. Thanks for sharing!