Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mashed potatoes and smoked sausage.
- 4 -5 large potatoes, Peeled
- 3 -4 green onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced, pressed
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3⁄4 cup hot milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 dash pepper
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mozzarella cheese, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups smoked sausage, sliced
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- Cut potatoes into cubes, Place in a large sauce pan cover with water, add salt and boil about 20 ,inutes until tender, Drain.
- Mash potatoes, add green onions and garlic mix to blend.
- Add butter,hot milk,egg yolks,pepper and nutmeg. whip until light and fluffy then add parsley.
- Add mozzarella cheese,sausage and parmesan cheese.
- Spoon mixture into a buttered ovenproof dish, sprinkle with herbs and arrange the sausage slices around outer edge of potatoe mixture.Heat under broiler until lightly browned and hot, 5-10 minutes.
Came across this while looking for something to use up egg yolks - I needed the whites for a pie. I was finding mainly desserts (which I don't need more of!). While I didn't stick to the recipe exactly, it was a perfect base for a lot of ingredients I needed to use up. I used a leftover regular onion instead of green. And I had bacon to use up so I used that instead of smoked sausage - although I will definitely try this sometime with sausage! Mmmmm One of the best things about this recipe is that it uses mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar. I can't stand cheddar and mozzarella doesn't substitute well in most cheddar recipes. The mozzarella fits great in this! Thanks a bunch!