Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A great healthy side dish! This I posted because I was looking for ways to get high Iron foods into my diet. Farina is a cereal's of the high iron.Don't believe me just read the labels. (This would also be good made in a greased pie pan and served as a quiche.)Just bake till firm and browned and bubbly.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 3 ounces fresh wild mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup farina (cream of wheat)
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄8 cup grated parmesan-romano cheese mix
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- Sauté shallots and mushrooms in oil till translucent.
- Add 2 cups hot water slowly add cream of wheat.
- Continue stirring gently while the cereal thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Cereal should become very thick.
- Remove from the heat and add the garlic, eggs, egg yolks, cheese, red pepper,thyme, salt and pepper to taste, blending thoroughly.
- Pour the warm mixture onto a well-oiled 9x13-inch pan and spread it out, making the surface as even as possible.
- (Option: Just spoon tablespoonfuls onto buttered parchment paper and bake in a 400°F oven for 3 minutes till bubbling hot).
- Let cool, uncovered, in the refrigerator until cool to the touch.
- Remove from the refrigerator and cut into squares.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- When ready to use, place the squares on a pan lined parchment paper and heat in a 400°F oven for 5 minutes till bubbling hot.
- Serve immediately.
In spite of it being "good for you," as Rita says, this tasted great too! The farina did blend surprisingly well with the onions, mushrooms and garlic, and it's a great change from the everyday potatoes, rice or noodle side dishes. I did find it was much too soft to cut into squares, even after chilling, so next time I will spoon it onto the baking sheet. My personal preference would be to do that over the pie pan as a quiche, as I enjoy more of the crispier outside you'd get with the individual servings.