Recipe by windhorse23
Adapted from a cookbook called Three Bowls, from the Zen Mountain Center. This can be eaten for breakfast or as a simple side dish.
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon hot Madras curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 4 1⁄2 cups skim milk
- 3⁄4 cup farina, any variety
- 1 pinch fresh coriander (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pistachios (optional)
- 1 pinch salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3 quart saucepan, saute the onions and garlic in the ghee until they are a nice golden color. Medium heat works best.
- Add the raisins and curry powder and cook for a minute. Then add the milk and bring it to a boil. Whisk in the farina and cook it according to the package directions. (I use the "quick-cooking" variety, which takes 2 1/2 minutes.).
- Remove from heat and add cilantro, pistachios, salt and sugar, as desired. (I use the cilantro, salt and sugar.).