Recipe by lauralie41
I found this gnocchi recipe on the Recipe Goldmine website and posted for the Zaar World Tour Swap.
Top Review by Mercutio
I made this and it was OK. But when made it again, using 3 eggs (yolks only) and butter instead of margarine, it was both silkier and tastier. Just like what I remember enjoying in Rome. So this basic recipe works well, but to improve the outcome I recommend changing it slightly to the way I made it.
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup farina or 1 cup semolina
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk to scald. Reduce heat and slowly stir in farina, cook until thick, approximately five minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in eggs, margarine, salt, pepper and beat until smooth. Spread mixture into a greased 13 x 9-inch pan, let cool. Cover pan and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours until firm.
- *Note* Refrigeration time for gnocchi to firm is included in the preparation time.
- When firm, remove from refrigerator and cut gnocchi into 1 1/2 inch squares or circles. Place them overlapping, into an ungreased baking dish. Dot tops with 1/4 cup margarine and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until brown. If needed you can brown a little more under the broiler.