This is a nice light pasta - the sauce isn't heavy (or, really, very saucy at all) and the ricotta makes it just a touch creamy. It's also quite healthy. This is one of those recipes that can be made quickly with what you have in the kitchen! Instead of overdoing the pasta - we used whole wheat pasta & bulked it up with veggies and lean chicken breast. The finished dish is very eye appealing and tastes marvelous! ellysaysopa.com. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb whole wheat farfalle pasta or 1/2 lb other pastas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 1/2 onions, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms or 1/2 lb button mushroom, sliced
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or 1/4 cup white wine or 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (partially drained but some liquid reserved)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 1 (3 ounce) package Baby Spinach or 1 (3 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed & drained
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 2Add salt, and then add the farfalle.
- 3Cook until al dente.
- 4Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat and add the oil.
- 5Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and, once the oil is hot, add the chicken to the pan; brown on all sides, and then add the onions and cook for a minute or two.
- 6Stir in the mushrooms, garlic, and some salt and pepper.
- 7Sauté until all vegetables are tender.
- 8Increase the heat to medium high and add the vermouth.
- 9Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated, and then stir in the diced tomatoes (and a few tablespoons of juice), red pepper flakes, parsley, oregano, basil, and salt & pepper to taste.
- 10Bring to a simmer and then reduce heat to medium-low, simmering until the flavors have developed (and chicken has cooked through).
- 11Add the spinach and cook until wilted down, about 2-3 minutes.
- 12Season to taste.
- 13Add the pasta to the sauce and stir to coat.
- 14Off the heat, stir in the ricotta cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Farfalle With Chicken, Mushrooms, Spinach and Ricotta Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (541 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.8
- Calories from Fat 137
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 72.6 mg
- Sodium 527.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 35.3 g