Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Martha Rose Shulman
- 1 lb asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup cottage cheese (nonfat or low-fat)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 lb farfalle pasta
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or parsley)
- 1 ounce pecorino cheese or 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add 1 tablespoon salt; then drop in the asparagus; boil 3-5 minutes, until just tender; remove from water using a slotted spoon; refresh with cold water and set asparagus aside.
- Chop the garlic in food processor fitted with a steel blade; when it adheres to the sides, stop the machine and scrape down the sides.
- Add the cottage cheese; blend until fairly smooth; scrape down the sides.
- Add in the milk; blend again until smooth; add salt and pepper to taste; transfer to a wide pasta bowl.
- Bring the water in the pot back to a boil; add in the pasta; stir to make sure the pasta doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pot; cook until al dente; reserve ¼ cup cooking water and drain pasta.
- Stir the reserved cooking water into the cottage cheese mixture; add the pasta, asparagus, chives, and pecorino; toss to combine; serve hot.