Recipe by Cassi5519
I got this squash casserole recipe from a friend probably 30 years ago. It is always a hit. Hope you like it. Can be made the day before and baked the next day.
Top Review by Suse40
This was really good. I used yellow squash and zucchini (2 each), diced and steamed in the microwave, then dried with paper towels (thanks for that tip). I sauteed regular onion with green pepper, just because I like the flavor of sauteed onions over raw, but that did make an extra pan to clean. I also added a dollop of light sour cream to the eggs because I had it on hand. It made a huge casseroleful for a covered dish dinner and every crumb was eaten. Thanks for the cheeseless casserole recipe!
- 2 lbs yellow squash
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and dice squash.
- Put in saucepan.
- Add 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes.
- Drain and set aside.
- Saute bell pepper and onion in skillert with butter.
- Add pepper & onion mixtue, brown sugar, salt and pepper.
- Add eggs and milk.
- Mix well.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole with Pam.
- Spoon mixture into casserole.
- Bake in 325 degree oven 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake 10 minutes more or until breadcrumbs brown.