1 hr 10 mins
Margie in NJ's Note:
My husband and I LOVE this recipe! So good--crunchy--so many great flavors--and fun to eat! Recipe adapted from Let's Eat In by Brooke Dojny and Melanie Barnard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Taco Shells and Garnishes
- 1Heat the oil in a large skillet.
- 2Saute the onion and garlic over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- 3Add the ground turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up the clumps of meat, until the meat has lost its pink color, about 5 minutes.
- 4Stir in the cumin and cook for 1 minute.
- 5Add the tomato sauce and water and simmer, partially covered, over low heat for 10 minutes.
- 6Raise the heat to medium, uncover the skillet, and simmer for 5 minutes more, or until mixture is quite thick but not dry.
- 7Stir in the crushed red pepper and cilantro and add salt to taste.
- 8While turkey mixture is cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and arrange taco shells on a baking sheet.
- 9Prepare grated cheese, lettuce, scallions, and olives and put them into individual bowls.
- 10When turkey mixture is almost done, heat taco shells in preheated oven for 5 minutes or so.
- 11When turkey mixture and taco shells are done, each person can spoon some turkey mixture into the bottom of the half-moon-shaped taco shells and add toppings of choice.
- 12Finish with a sprinkle of hot sauce, taco sauce or salsa.
- 13Note: Turkey filling can be made ahead and will keep in the refrigerator for a few days.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fantastic Turkey Tacos
Serving Size: 1 (127 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.1
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 49.6 mg
- Sodium 352.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 12.9 g