Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I always loved my mom's taco dip salad, you know, with the base "dip", and then all the toppings on it, that is a mess to eat and a pain in the butt to make. So I made up this taco dip that's quick and easy and tastes AWESOME. There are endless add-ins that you could do, black olives, hamburger (though this is a cold dip, so I don't know), lettuce (tends to get soggy), etc, etc. Let me know what you think... my friends LOVE this dip and ask for it when we have potlucks and stuff. Most of the prep time is chilling it.
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 cup light cream cheese
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning (more to taste)
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (more to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup chunky salsa (about 1/2 a jar, medium)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded (more to taste)
- Mix sour cream and cream cheese together well. The "whip" setting on a mixer or a "3"-ish on a hand mixer works well.
- Add in taco seasoning and cayenne pepper and mix (whip) well. Adjust the amount of seasoning to taste. I like it pretty spicy.
- Add in salsa and shredded cheddar and mix well. I like to mix it in with a spatula so it won't shred up the cheese too much or mush up the chunky salsa.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and chill WELL. This is a kind of dip you want to make at least an hour or so before you enjoy it, so the flavors have a chance to meld. It also thickens as it chills, so don't worry about it being runny at first!
- Serve with chips; I'd recommend Nacho Cheese Doritos (they're my favorite!). ENJOY!
I added black beans. Made a lot of dip, but it's good