Prep 20 mins
Cook 1440 hrs
These sweet pickles do not require a hot water bath because they are in a brine. But warning; you cannot use the pickles for 2 months after canning because they need to ferment. The two months are definately worth the wait. This recipe is for only a 1 quart jar so multiply as needed.
- 1 lb small cucumber (3-4 inches in size)
- 1 tablespoon pickling spices
- 1 tablespoon canning salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered alum
- 1 cup white vinegar
- cold water
- Scrub cucumbers and steralize jars and lids. Add lids to a small saucepan of warm water and put on the stove on med-high heat.
- Pack cucumber in jars, but not too tight. Add pickling spice, canning salt, powdered alum and white vinegar. Then fill jars with cold water until pickles are covered. Seal with warm lids and screw on hand tight. Shake vigorously to dissolve salt & alum.
- Put pickles in the pantry for 2 months.
- After two months have past and you are ready to use a jar of pickles, dump the brine and scrap off the pickling spices. Then you need to slice the pickles and add 1 cup of sugar. Shake pickles and put in the refrigerator, turning often to dissolve the sugar.