- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 inch fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 lbs chicken pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic and ginger over medium heat until fragrant.
- Add soy sauce, water, brown sugar and star anise.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add chicken pieces. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a bare simmer.
- Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes, turning chicken pieces, until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and serve warm or cold.