1/4 Photos of Fantastic Roasted Chicken
1 hr 10 mins
This is one of the first "nice" recipes that I made when I started getting into cooking. Jamie Oliver (the Naked Chef) made this on his show one day, and I had to get the recipe. Made a few changes for us, and we both love it. I have not ever used Parma or prosciutto when I make it, and have used a regular ham instead. Also, I have skipped the potatoes and just had the chicken. Really Good! Enjoy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (2 lb) roasting chickens, preferably organic
- 1 large lemon
- 4 slices prosciutto (can also use regular ham) or 4 slices parma ham, thinly sliced (can also use regular ham)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave, finely chopped (no stems)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of softened butter
- 2 1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1Preheat the oven and an appropriately sized roasting pan to 425°F.
- 2Wash your chicken inside and out and pat dry with paper towels.
- 3Using your fingers, part the breast skin from the breast meat. It’s important to try to push your hand gently down the breast, being careful not to rip the skin.
- 4With a peeler (or a zester), remove and chop the fragrant yellow skin of the lemon, keeping the peeled lemon to one side.
- 5Then tear up your prosciutto (or whatever ham you choose to use) and add into a bowl with the lemon skin, garlic and thyme (I have done this in my food processor before to get the ham pieces small).
- 6Season with salt and pepper to taste, and then mix it all into the butter.
- 7Push this into the space you have made between the meat and the skin – rub and massage any that’s left over in and around the bird.
- 8Slash the thigh meat to allow the heat to penetrate a little more, which makes it taste better.
- 9Cut the peeled lemon in half and push it into the cavity.
- 10Then put your chicken in the hot roasting pan and roast in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- 11While the chicken is cooking, parboil the potatoes in salted water for 10 minutes and drain.
- 12Remove the chicken from the oven, by which time the tasty butter will have melted, flavored and cooked out of the chicken into the bottom of the pan, awaiting your potatoes.
- 13Normally I put a fork into the cavity of the chicken and lift it out of the tray for 20 seconds while I toss and coat the vegetables in the butter.
- 14Put the chicken back on top of the vegetables and cook for around 30-40 minutes.
- 15Leave to stand for 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fantastic Roasted Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (362 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 579.4
- Calories from Fat 335
- Total Fat 37.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 134.3 mg
- Sodium 254.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 24.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: