Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is a fantastic cake that I have made it many times and it's one of the best rhubarb cakes! --- and it also will work well with fresh blueberries ;-)
Top Review by Eldeevee
We enjoyed this cake, however we thought that the topping was a little too thick and sweet for the cake. I'll cut the topping ingredients in half the next time I make it. I also cut the pieces smaller so I will probably get at least 24 servings from this cake - lots for lunches. Thanks for posting.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb (heaping cups!)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- vanilla ice cream or whipped cream
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 2 -3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, packed
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a small bowl using fingers mix together the topping ingredients until crumbly; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream 1/2 cup butter with sugar until fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Add in egg and vanilla; beat until well combined.
- In a small bowl mix together 2 cups flour with baking soda, salt and a pinch of nutmeg; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Toss the chopped rhubarb with 1 tablespoon flour then stir into the batter along with the walnuts.
- Sprinkle the prepared topping mixture evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes.
- Serve cake warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.