Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is SO good!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice (plus water if needed)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 orange, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- Beat butter, sugar and 1 egg well.
- Beat in 2nd egg.
- Stir in rind and jucse.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add to orange mixture til just mixed.
- Place in a grease loaf pan.
- Bake 325F 1 hour.
- Mix glaze ingredients in a saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve sugar.Spoon over top of loaf while still warm.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
very good recipe. i used 1 1/2 t of orange extract that gave it more of an orange flavor. nice bread.
Ok, I made this recipe today, with a couple of alterations. We spent thanksgiving with some friends, who have citrus trees all over their property limes,lemons,and oranges. I brought home an abundance of oranges, didn't have a clue what I was going to do with them. Instead of making a loaf, I made muffins. I followed the recipe exactly, with the exception of adding 8 oz. of cream cheese with the butter and egg. Reading the reviews I took the advice of others and poked holes in the tops coming out of the oven after 38 minutes and poured the glaze over the muffins. They turned out very moist and delicious. Don't know if I'll make again, only because I'm not the best baker in the world and wanted to use up the oranges, but they were fun to make. I think a powder sugar glaze or a cream cheese frosting with orange zest would be better than the juice sugar glaze.
Learn how to spell. I don't even try recipes with incorrect spellings!