Prep 1 min
Cook 0 mins
Try using different flavors of syrups and ice cream --- this is soooo delicious!
Make and share this Fantastic Old Fashioned Ice Cream Soda recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons chocolate syrup
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream (or 1 large scoop)
- club soda (cold) or seltzer water (cold)
- canned whipped cream (optional)
- Pour the milk into one tall 16-ounce glass.
- Stir in syrup.
- Add in ice cream and enough soda water or selzer to fill almost to top of glass.
- Top with whipped cream if desired.
- Serve with a long spoon and a big straw.
Wonderful. And it is an ice cream soda. An egg cream is just a drink- no ice cream.
Speaking as an old Howard Johnson hand, this is how we made ice cream sodas. No measuring necessary ~ soda glasses had marking on them. First squirt was the cream, then syrup. Push the seltzer back to get a strong stream of soda to mix the cream and syrup. Put some seltzer into the glass, add the scoop of ice cream and add more seltzer to fill. <br/><br/>It's been probably 45 years and I could still go behind the soda fountain and make these treats. From my years living in NYC, an egg cream is just chocolate syrup and seltzer. I liked mine with ice.
It is NOT an Ice cream soda. Adding milk turns it into an egg cream with ice cream. To avoid the silly repetitious sound of that coining the term