This is one of my family's all time favorite mushroom recipes, you can double the recipe, I have left the garlic as optional if you are a garlic lover I suggest to add in and you may adjust the amount to taste --- you will love this! :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (4 tablespoons)
- 2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (optional or adjust to taste, I most always add in)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper (I use seasoned salt)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or to taste, Swiss also works well)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a shallow baking dish.
- In a medium skillet saute the sliced mushrooms with butter over medium-high heat (if using garlic add in with the mushrooms).
- In a small bowl, blend together sour cream, salt, pepper and flour.
- Add to the mushrooms in the pan.
- Heat until JUST beginning to boil.
- Transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley and cheese.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes.
What a disappointment this dish turned out to be. We love mushrooms and cheese, but this was not a keeper for us. The sour cream mixture did not elevate the flavor of the mushrooms. I used king oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms, and beech mushrooms and would have preferred them simply sauteed in butter and garlic.
OMG!! This was great following to letter... ...the next time I added Chopped red peppers, green onions, and crumbled bacon, and used as topping for baked potatoes! BIG HIT!
This was a huge win at dinner. My husband loves mushroom dishes, and when he took his first bite he gave me that look that he does when he's had a bite of something indescribably delicious, right before he tells me that I should make it as often as possible. I threw it together quickly, and I realized later that since I only had 8 oz of mushrooms and didn't measure, I used about 3x the amount of butter that I should have (I should have poured if off before adding the sour cream). Also, we've started eating Paleo, so I left out the flour - the dish turned out more watery than I think it will next time when I use the right amount of butter! I did use seasoned salt as the recipe recommends. I will definitely make this again - probably to serve over steak next time.