To say this marinade is fantastic is an under statement --- the amounts listed enough for up to 4 pounds of shrimp and this also works well with lobster tails too --- if you are threading the shrimp on wooden skewers make certain to soak them for a minimum of 30 minutes in cold water before using, do not marinade the shrimp for more than 1 hour or the vinegar will start "cook" the shrimp, the hot sauce is only optional add in for extra heat.
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (can use more)
- 1 -2 teaspoon seasoning salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (or use fresh basil)
- 4 -5 large fresh garlic cloves (cut into large pieces, do not mince or use as much as desired!)
- hot sauce (optional)
- 4 lbs uncooked shrimp
- In a large bowl whisk together all ingredients (except garlic) until well blended, adjusting the seasoned salt, cayenne and hot sauce to taste.
- Add in the garlic pieces.
- Add in the uncooked shrimp to the bowl and toss to coat with the marinade.
- Cover and refrigerate NO MORE than 1 hour.
- Remove the shrimp and discard marinade.
- Grill over medium heat until no longer pink (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the shrimp).