Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
You will not even notice that this is a low fat recipe, it is that good! One loaf yields 24 slices with 60 calories each and 1 gram of fat for every slice. Add in chopped nuts if desired but that will increase the the calories. Make a fat-free glaze using 1/2 cup powdered sugar mixed with 2-4 teaspoons fat-free milk then drizzle over warm bread. The batter can also be baked in four 4 x 2-inch mini loaf pans, for 30-35 minutes, these freeze very well! 2 eggs can be replaced with the egg substitute.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup margarine or 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 3-4 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon maple extract or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to second-lowest position).
- Grease bottoms only of two 8 x 4-inch loaf pans (if desired you can line the bottoms only of the pans with parchment paper, although baking time will need to be increased).
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed mix togther the sugar, applesauce, egg substitute, margarine or butter and maple extract until well blended.
- Add in the mashed bananas and buttermilk; beat until smooth.
- In a small bowl mix together flour with baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until JUST blended (do not over mix!).
- Add/mix in nuts (if using).
- Divide the mixture between the two pans.
- Place both pans directly in the MIDDLE of the oven on the oven rack leaving a couple inches between the pans.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the loaves test done.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan then loosen the sides of loaves and remove from pans.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Great banana bread. I used one half whole wheat flour and the other half white flour and it came out great. I only cooked it 45 mins and it was good.
I made this for a bunch of my friends and everyone loved it! I also used 1/2 wheat, 1/2 white flour.
Another great recipe, Kittencal! I used two egg whites, and subbed Spenda for half the amount of the sugar. I also used olive oil for the butter. Delicious!