Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
An incredibly fantastic chicken salad, perfect for summertime entertaining! Also great tossed with cooked bow-tie pasta, which makes a more substantial meal. This is so delicious, one of my all-time favorite chicken salads!! Slightly adapted from a Paula Deen recipe.
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 rib minced celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh lemon zest
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 3 cups cooked bow tie pasta (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, celery, basil and almonds.
- In a small bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, lemon zest, Dijon, salt, pepper and onions. Add to chicken mixture (add pasta if using), tossing gently to coat.
- Cover and chill.
This is awesome!!!! Oh my gosh, plain old chicken salad will never be made in my house again! It's so refreshing and light with the lemon and basil. I didn't change a thing nor did I have to. I had purchased a very crisp and citrus Sauvignon Blanc to serve with this for a late afternoon lunch and it just blew my guest away. Very impressive.
This chicken salad is amazing! I made it for lunch for a friend who is doing the whole low-carb thing. I served it on crunchy leaf lettuce along with some fresh strawberries and raspberries. It was a huge hit with my hubby, too! I added about two scallions finely chopped and used purple basil that was growing in my garden. Make sure to toast the almonds...it makes a big difference! I will use this as my "go to" chicken salad recipe from now on.
I won't post the four stars that I'd like to because I made several changes. I didn't have celery or almonds so I omitted them. I didn't have sour cream so I upped the mayo. I didn't have fresh basil so I just used a ton of dried basil. This is the first chicken salad I've ever made that I've been happy with. I love the lemon and basil flavor! Next time (and there will be one) I'll be sure to have all the ingredients on hand so that I can give this recipe it's proper rating. Thank you.