Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
I make this ham at the holidays and always receive rave reviews, this ham will be the star attraction at you table --- do not use sugar-free 7-up for this, make certain before starting this that you have a large enough roasting pan with a rack that will fit into the pan, a 12-pound ham will take a bit of time to bake so make certain that you have all your other dishes made ahead of time --- if you don't want to go the extra step with the pineapple and cherries you may omit and just make the ham using the brown sugar coating :)
Top Review by donnie27
I have been making this EXACT recipe for over 25 years. My SIL gave me the recipe written on an old envelope and it is really torn, tattered, and stained now. I'm so glad to put this in my cookbook......you know that envelope can't last much longer.!!
Thank you for posting.....I didn't think of doing it myself and I'm so glad you did.
- 1 (12 lb) bone-in ham
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup whole cloves
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 (20 ounce) cansweetened pineapple rings (in syrup)
- 2 (4 ounce) jars maraschino cherries
- 1 (12 ounce) can 7-Up soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Using a sharp knife "score" the rind of the ham with diamond patterns.
- Place the ham onto a rack in a very large WELL GREASED roasting pan.
- Insert a meat thermometer into the ham, making certain that the thermometer does NOT touch the bone.
- Press whole cloves into the center of each diamond.
- Drain the pineapple juice from the pineapple rings into a bowl, then stir in the brown sugar, mustard powder and 7-Up soda; mix very well to combine.
- Coat the complete ham with the brown sugar mixture.
- Place the pineapple rings over the outside of the ham.
- Place a whole maraschino cherry into the center of each pineapple ring, then attach with a wooden toothpick.
- Bake uncovered for 4-5 hours, basting frequently with the pan juices or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove the ham to a serving platter, then let sit for about 20 minutes.
- Remove all toothpicks before serving.
- Slice ham and enjoy!