homey and comforting
Make and share this Fantastic Fish Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 5 large potatoes, peeled and diced into 2 . 5cm/1 inch squares
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 free range eggs
- 200 g fresh spinach
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, halved and finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- 600 ml cream
- 200 g cheddar cheese
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 teaspoon English mustard
- 100 g flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 500 g haddock or 500 g cod fish fillets, skin removed pin boned and sliced into chunks
- nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F/gas 8.
- Put the potatoes into salted boiling water and bring back to the boil for 2 minutes.
- Carefully add the eggs to the pan and cook for a further 8 minutes until hard boiled, by which time the potatoes should also be cooked.
- At the same time steam the spinach in a colander above the pan. This will only take a minute. When the spinach is done, remove from the colander and gently squeeze any excess moisture away.
- Then drain the potatoes in the colander.
- Remove the eggs, cool under cold water, then peel and quarter them. Place to one side.
- In a separate pan slowly fry the onion and carrot in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes, than add the double cream and bring just to the boil. Remove from the heat and add the cheese, lemon juice, mustard and parsley.
- Put the spinach, fish and eggs into an appropriately sized earthenware dish and mix together, pouring over the creamy vegetable sauce.
- The cooked potatoes should be drained and mashed - add a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and a touch of nutmeg if you like. Spread on top of the fish. Don't bother piping it to make it look pretty - it's a homely hearty thing.
- Place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes until the potatoes are golden.
Have made this several times,it's just scrumptious,sod my cholesterol level.<br/>This pie should be made compulsory.
This awesome recipe is from Jamie Oliver's 'The Return of the Naked Chef' cookbook. I love the way he gets so much happening in only one pan (steps 2 to 4). Our family adores this recipe. The main difference for us is the amount of cream used. I prefer to use Jamie's recommended quantity of 285 mls. I'm guessing that more would make it too runny. With 600 mls of cream, I would probably only give four stars, but I haven't tried that approach yet. Also, we think nutmeg is essential, not optional. Try to use fresh ground.
Delicious! It was definetly to much cream I will use 1/2 next time. I also think I migh try to sautee the spinach with the onions instead of steaming it.