Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
You will love these!... the egg mixture is also fantastic on buttered thick sliced whole wheat or white bread. For even more flavor, mix the egg with all other ingredients, and chill for about 3 hours before preparing the pitas. Prep time does not include boiling the eggs.
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise (can use more)
- 3 tablespoons sweet relish
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 7 hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely chopped (can use green onion)
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated carrot (or to taste squeeze out moisture with hands)
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 pita breads, halved
- sliced tomatoes
- lettuce leaf
- In a bowl combine the first 5 ingredients.
- Add in the eggs, cheese, onion, carrots and bacon; mix well to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper, and adjust all ingredients to suit taste.
- Open the pita half, and place a lettuce leaf and sliced tomato in the bottom of the pita.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup mixture into the pita, sitting on the lettuce leaf and tomato.
These were scrumptious sandwiches. The only thing I changed was to make it for 2 people and had added no bacon (friend having lunch with me does not like bacon) I too used a multigrain pita because they were the freshest in the grocery store. There were so many flavors with this sandwich it was amazing. I had made this earlier in the morning and kept in fridge till lunchtime...fantastic....Thanks once again Kitten...
These are seriously delicious! This was prepared using red onion and chopped sweet sandwich pickles instead of relish. The egg salad was stuffed into a multigrain pita. I tasted this both with and without the mayo and it was wonderful both ways. Made for 123 Hits Tag.
This was good egg salad! Love the addition of the cheese and bacon. Found myself out of onion and carrots, so had to leave them out, but will make this again. Also, served on regular white bread instead of pita (again, was out!).