Prep 15 mins
Cook 9 hrs
You may never bake another ham in the oven again after you try this! --- you will need a large crock pot for this, choose a size of ham that will fit into you crock pot anywhere from 7-8 pounds you may need to trim the ham slightly to fit, a spiral ham is not recommended for this --- servings is only estimated.
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with cooking spray.
- Pour the pineapple juice into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Sprinkle about 1-1/2 cups brown sugar onto the juice.
- Rub the remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar onto the ham.
- Place the ham fat-side down into the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8-9 hours (you may baste the ham about halfway through cooking time, do this quickly to prevent a lot of heat to escape from the crock pot).
My ham can out drier the desert! I used a already cooked ham so I dunno if that was my problem? I ended giving most of it to the dogs and chopped up the rest of it into a ham salad, which as pretty good. Note: If you ever mess up a ham slathering it in mayo.
I made this at Christmastime. It was very good. Kids thought it was too sugary. (what's up with that?). DH thought it was GREAT. None of us could taste the pineapple juice so maybe next time I will use apple or whatever I have on hand instead of opening Pineapple juice just to use 1/2 cup. I had a butt ham and the lid was raised just a bit, but as it cooked, the lid fit like it should. Oh.. and I forgot to start it in time, so I cooked it on high for 1/2 the time. It was plenty done. I will do this again but will probably just rub about 3/4 cup of brown sugar on the ham and not put any more in the juice. A very nice method to know about and it was a lifesaver when my Christmas day guests decided to come a day early because of a snowstorm prediction. Luckily I had made this a day or two before and had it to feed them... It was more "special' than plain ham and was easy to pass off as holiday food! LOL
This was awesome! I used to think that my way was the best, but this tops mine hands down!