Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
A perfect side dish to your holiday meal, even people who hate spinach will love this dish! --- this should serve 8 people depending on the size of the portions -- the complete recipe may be made up to 24 hours in advance, cover and refrigerate, allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking --- if you prefer a milder spinach flavor then boil the spinach in water for about 8 minutes before using in the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 5 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed (hand-squeeze out any excess moisture)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream (35% cream)
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese or 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in shallots and cayenne pepper; cook stirring for about 5-6 minutes or until softened but not browned (add in the fresh garlic the last few minutes of cooking).
- Hand-squeeze out any excess moisture in the spinach then place in a large bowl.
- Add in the shallot/garlic mixture, cream cheese, whipping cream, milk, shredded cheese, seasoned salt, ground black pepper and nutmeg; mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- At this point you may cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until light golden brown.