A perfect side dish to your holiday meal, even people who hate spinach will love this dish! --- this should serve 8 people depending on the size of the portions -- the complete recipe may be made up to 24 hours in advance, cover and refrigerate, allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before baking --- if you prefer a milder spinach flavor then boil the spinach in water for about 8 minutes before using in the recipe.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 shallots, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 5 (10 ounce) boxes frozen spinach, thawed (hand-squeeze out any excess moisture)
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup whipping cream (35% cream)
- 1 cup full-fat milk
- 1 cup grated swiss cheese or 1 cup gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (or use 1/2 teaspoon white salt)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper (can use more to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 9-inch baking dish.
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in shallots and cayenne pepper; cook stirring for about 5-6 minutes or until softened but not browned (add in the fresh garlic the last few minutes of cooking).
- Hand-squeeze out any excess moisture in the spinach then place in a large bowl.
- Add in the shallot/garlic mixture, cream cheese, whipping cream, milk, shredded cheese, seasoned salt, ground black pepper and nutmeg; mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with Parmesan cheese.
- At this point you may cover and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Bake uncovered for about 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
Incredible side dish I could eat it every day
I made this for Thanksgiving because I wanted to try something new, and boy am I glad I did! It's so tasty...and leftovers are even better heated up the next day! My husband, who doesn't TOUCH vegetables, loved this! Thanks.
Halved the recipe for the two of us. Used gruyere cheese, also for the topping. The minor change I made was adding some grated nutmeg when I mixed it because we like that with spinach. Will make this again because we both enjoyed it very much and I like it that it can be prepared in advance. Thank you!