Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These are the most amazing sugar cookies. They bake out to a perfect round shape and are crispy around the edges! do not sub the Crisco butter flavor with regular butter, the cookie just will not have the same texture, and bake out very flat. If you are making these for Christmas, use red and green sugar, you can omit the cinnamon if desired and just roll in the sugar. I have even added 1 cup mini chocolate chips to the batter.... these cookies are fabulous!! Note, this recipe makes tons of cookies, so no need to double the recipe.
- 473.18 ml white sugar
- 236.59 ml brown sugar
- 473.18 ml Butter Flavor Crisco (do not sub butter for Crisco!)
- 2 large eggs
- 4.92-9.85 ml vanilla
- 946.36 ml all-purpose flour (do not sift)
- 19.71 ml cream of tartar
- 14.78 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 118.29 ml white sugar, mixed with
- 2.46-4.92 ml cinnamon (for rolling)
- Set oven to 350°.
- In a extra large mixing bowl (I use my kitchen aid stand mixer for this), cream/mix the shortening, both sugars, eggs and vanilla until very well blended and fluffy.
- In a smaller bowl mix together (do not sift) the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt, with a spoon.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and beat well until blended.
- Roll into walnut size balls (or larger if desired).
- Roll into the cinnamon/sugar mixture, making sure that the balls are well coated.
- Place on a foil-lined lightly sprayed cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
- ***NOTE*** for a crispier cookie, bake longer.
Oh dear Kitten - I would love to tell you we really liked these but then I'd be lying. WE LOVED THEM!! The kids could not stop eating them as an afternoon snack. I had mine with some coffee and felt I was being spoiled. The cookies themselves are so simple to put together and you are correct in that a KA mixer works wonders. I halved the recipe and still got 40 cookies. I did cheat in that I did not have enough Crisco so I did use half Crisco and half butter but really the texture and the cookies did not seem to be harmed in any manner...nice soft texture, puffy, baked in 12 minutes perfectly! Thanks for sharing this delightful recipe! Tagged in 123 hits and also used for "Prop it Up" event in Photo Forum.
These are AWESOME! We called the Cinnamon Crackles (we added 1 Tbsp to 1/2 cup sugar) and they were fabulous!!!
Another perfection! Very easy to make and loved by kids and kids at heart alike.