1/2 Photos of Fantastic Challah
3 hrs 30 mins
Kerri Stern's Note:
This recipe came from a lot of trial and error. It was the first major thing I learned to cook on my own, so I'm pretty proud of it. I use it for a traditional Shabbos meal, but its good anytime. Most of the prep time is from the dough needing to rise. It's actually very easy to make.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1This recipe works best in a big mixer, but can be done by hand.
- 2I've never tried it in a bread machine.
- 3In a separate bowl, proof yeast by mixing with with 3/4 cup of warm water (follow temperature guide on package) and 1T sugar.
- 4It should double in size.
- 5While yeast is proofing, put dry ingredients into mixing bowl.
- 6Wait for the yeast to be ready to add eggs, oil, 1 C warm water, and the yeast mixture.
- 7Mix on lowest setting for about a minute then increase slightly to reccommended setting for bread.
- 8Mix for 10- 15 minutes adding flour if needed.
- 9Dough should be sticky, but pull away from sides of bowl.
- 10Leave dough in the same bowl to rise, and cover with a damp cloth.
- 11Keep it someplace warm, I like to run the dishwasher at the same time and put the bowl on top.
- 12Let it rise for 1 1/2- 2 hours, until double in size.
- 13When dough is doubled, turn it out onto a floured surface and knead by hand a little.
- 14Oil 2 large loaf pans well, this bread tends to stick.
- 15divide the dough in half.
- 16You can braid it like traditional challah, or just form into a loaf shape and put it into the pan.
- 17To braid it divide each half into three pieces and roll each into a rope.
- 18Pinch the ends of three ropes together and alternate crossing the sides over the middle.
- 19Pinch the ends together and place in loaf pan.
- 20Brush the top with a beaten egg.
- 21You can also top with sesame or poppy seeds.
- 22Bake for 1/2- 3/4 hour at 350 degrees.
- 23Bread should be medium brown and should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom.
- 24Let cool on a cake rack.
- 25This challah freezes very well if wrapped tightly.
- 26It tastes great warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fantastic Challah
Serving Size: 1 (1645 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2350.0
- Calories from Fat 624
- Total Fat 69.4 g
- Saturated Fat 11.1 g
- Cholesterol 462.4 mg
- Sodium 3631.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 373.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 82.9 g
- Protein 55.5 g