Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
One of my family's favorite bread pudding, the caramel topping is what *makes* this!
- 12 slices Texas toast thick bread, stale, but not hard
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 4 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups half-and-half or 3 cups milk
- 1⁄4 lb butter (no substitutions)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2-qt baking dish.
- Trim the crust off of bread, and cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Scatter bread crumbs into baking dish.
- Sprinkle the raisins over bread cubes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and milk.
- Pour the mixture over the bread cubes.
- Pressing the bread down with a spatula to help absorb the liquid.
- Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Place the baking dish with the pudding mix, into a larger pan.
- Pour water 2/3 of the way up the outside dish to make a water bath.
- Bake for 1-1/4 hours, until puffed and firm.
- FOR CARAMEL SAUCE: Melt butter in a small saucepan.
- Then whisk in the 1/2 cup brown sugar, then stir for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the heavy cream, and continue to stir for 2 mins more.
- Top sauce onto bread pudding.
I needed a bread pudding recipe and Kittencal has been a go-to gal for me several times. However, I was surprised that I was not wowed by this recipe. I do think it's tasty but for me, it needed more -- cinnamon or coconut or chocolate or some other kind of flavoring or add-in. This is the first bread pudding I've seen that is very light in color. The texture was very nice though. Regarding the sauce, the directions were not specific so I guessed on what heat to cook the sauce. It was a bit grainy for me, especially after it had cooled. I had made a different caramel sauce for something else and it turned out better. All-in-all, it was tasty but I'll try some other recipes.
This recipe was awesome! I don't like raisins so I didn't use them, but it was an amazing dessert and really easy. I will definently be making this again. Thanks.
Woah for a person not really into sweets, I couldn't stop having this wicked, wicked dessert. Way to go kitten. You made our day yet again!!!