Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead this needs to be refrigerated for 6 hours or overnight. This is an amazing cabbage salad! If you purchase a very large cabbage, you can increase the mayo/yogurt dressing if desired.
Top Review by carole in orlando
If you are looking for a way to impress family and friends over the holidays (or anytime) this is the salad to take to the "big dinner". It has just the right amount of sweetness and tartness, the dressing is very nice and it is very attractive to serve. I sprinkled in a few Craisins to give it a little color. I made it early in the morning and took it to our family Thanksgiving Dinner at 6pm and it was just right. Thanks, Kittencal for another great dish with a little twist.
- 1 head green cabbage (cored, thinly sliced or chopped small)
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled and cut into juiienne strips
- 3 -4 celery ribs, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup yogurt, plain
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 -4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups chopped walnuts (leave the walnuts coarsley chopped)
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled (optional and to taste)
- 1 small red onion (cut into rings or thinly sliced)
- 1 granny smith apple, unpeeled and cut into thin slices to garlish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl whisk togther mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, oil, 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste) and vinegar until smooth.
- In a very large bowl mix together, cabbage, apple strips, celery and walnuts.
- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture; toss to combine.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours or overnight (toss a couple of times during chilling time to combine the cabbage with the dressing) .
- Just before serving sprinkle with the blue cheese and red onions on top, then garnish with apple slices around the outside of the bowl.
- Sprinkle with more walnuts if desired.