2 hrs 40 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
This cake is very moist, it is the ultimate in fruit cakes, I think it's the pureed banana, along with the pineapple, that makes this fruit cake so extra special. Make sure that the crushed pineapple is very well drained before adding to batter, also this fruit cake can be succesfully baked in mini loaf pans (just cut down baking time), these cakes freeze well, and also taste better when left until the following day.
My Private Note
9x5 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups candied fruit
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
- 1Set oven to 300 degrees Prepare two (9" x 5") loaf pans, or 8 mini loaf pans.
- 2In a large bowl combine the fruit, dates and walnuts, then dredge them with 1/4 cup flour.
- 3Sift the remaining flour together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- 4In another bowl, cream butter, add sugar, and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- 5Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- 6Beat in the orange rind, orange juice, orange extract and drained pineapple.
- 7Mash the bananas with a fork (do not use a food processor, as it will liquefy and the bananas, and will change the texture of the cake).
- 8Alternately, stir in the banana puree with the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in the floured fruit and nuts.
- 9Turn into prepared pans.
- 10Bake for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until loosley with foil if the cakes are browning too much on top.
- 11Cool in pans for 20 minutes, then turn onto racks Note: If baking in mini loaf pans, then cut down the baking time.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fantastic Banana Fruitcake
Serving Size: 1 (2083 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3237.0
- Calories from Fat 1080
- Total Fat 120.0 g
- Saturated Fat 50.9 g
- Cholesterol 606.0 mg
- Sodium 3106.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 526.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 27.3 g
- Sugars 361.0 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: