Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This cake is very moist, it is the ultimate in fruit cakes, I think it's the pureed banana, along with the pineapple, that makes this fruit cake so extra special. Make sure that the crushed pineapple is very well drained before adding to batter, also this fruit cake can be succesfully baked in mini loaf pans (just cut down baking time), these cakes freeze well, and also taste better when left until the following day.
Top Review by love4culinary
This is really good fruitcake. Unfortunately, I dont really feel like the flavor of the banana is really there... it just tastes like an ordinary fruitcake, maybe made a bit more moist by the banana. My cakes didnt take anywhere near 2 hrs 15 mins. After 1hr 35 mins, my cakes were more than done. Thanks for the recipe :) We're enjoying it!
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 cups candied fruit
- 2 cups chopped dates
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup crushed pineapple, very well drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 300 degrees Prepare two (9" x 5") loaf pans, or 8 mini loaf pans.
- In a large bowl combine the fruit, dates and walnuts, then dredge them with 1/4 cup flour.
- Sift the remaining flour together with the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter, add sugar, and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Beat in the orange rind, orange juice, orange extract and drained pineapple.
- Mash the bananas with a fork (do not use a food processor, as it will liquefy and the bananas, and will change the texture of the cake).
- Alternately, stir in the banana puree with the flour mixture into the creamed mixture. Stir in the floured fruit and nuts.
- Turn into prepared pans.
- Bake for about 2 hours and 15 minutes, or until loosley with foil if the cakes are browning too much on top.
- Cool in pans for 20 minutes, then turn onto racks Note: If baking in mini loaf pans, then cut down the baking time.