Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Here is a great way to use up those ripe bananas.This homemade"made from scratch" recipe(for the filling) will sure be a hit around the house and work place.Its easy to prepare. You can make a Graham Cracker crust, recipe on Recipezaar,or purchase a couple shells to save time. The taste is amazing. This recipe will make enough filling for 2 -10" pies. People will be asking for the recipe. Best I have ever had, "No Doubt".
- 8 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar or 1 1⁄4 cups Splenda sugar substitute
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 4 cups cold 1% low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons soft margarine or 2 butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 dash salt
- 3 -4 ripe bananas
- 2 graham cracker pie crust or 2 store bought pre made pie crusts
- Mix cornstarch, sugar, salt with the cold milk in a large saucepan.
- Cook mixture over medium heat to dissolve. (Stir constantly) until boiling.
- Pour 1/4 of the mixture into the beaten eggs and blend thoroughly.
- Return mixture back to saucepan.
- Add 1 smashed banana to mixture and stir until blended .
- Cook until thick and creamy.
- Add margarine/butter and vanilla.
- Add dash of salt.
- Add 1/2 of the mixture to 2x10" pie shells (1/4 of mixture to each shell).
- Slice the remaining bananas on top of the 2 pies.
- Cover the bananas with the rest of the mixture.
- Put in refrigerator to set.
- When ready top the pies with whipped cream or Cool Whip.
Finally, a recipe that is real "from scratch" banana pudding and pie filling.. Not that vanilla pudding with banana slices. Yay! I just made this recipe and it is to die for. I luv it. It is sooo yummy. I put the pudding in cups not a pie. I will try that later. I have picky eaters and they love it. Just like Lotso the Bear would say "itsa keepah" :D
This was the best banana cream pie I have ever made and tasted!! I made the two pie recipe but only made one pie with a homemade graham cracker crust and the rest of it I made banana pudding with vanilla wafers for my mom's daycare kids. I have tried other boxed banana pudding and pie mixes and this recipe beats them by far and was so easy to make!! I was so proud that I made it because it was from scratch!! Thank you so much for sharing!! It was delicious!!
Made just half of this recipe as a special treat for a friend of mine who is really a banana cream pie fan! It was his birthday, but I wasn't about to make him a cake, so . . . Still, with 3 candles on it (for yesterday, today & tomorrow), he really enjoyed it! You've definitely got a great way to put together this kind of pie! Thanks for sharing your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]