This is a fantastic muffin that bakes out very high and moist, I have even added a finely chopped large apple into the flour mixture. If you prefer a sweeter muffin then add in more brown sugar. You can use 1-1/3 cup cake and pastry flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup large flake oats (not quick)
- 1⁄2 cup natural bran
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup ripe mashed banana (mash with fork)
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk or 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- 2 tablespoons molasses or 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄3 cup chopped nuts
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners.
- In a bowl, whisk flour, oats, bran, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk egg, oil and brown sugar together.
- In a small bowl mix together the mashed banana, buttermilk and molasses; add/mix into the oil mixture to combine.
- If you are adding in a chopped apple, peel the apple now, then mix it in with the flour mixture.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture.
- Add in the banana/oil mixture into the flour mixture; stirring only to combine (do not overmix, don't worry about any lumps).
- Gently stir in raisins and nuts.
- Divide evenly between prepared muffin cups (almost to the top).
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until muffins tops spring back when lightly touched, and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center of the muffin.