Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This dip will become one of your favorites, I have made this many times recently for a test run for the holidays and plan on making it many time more! If you use spicy sausages you might want to omit the Tabasco, if you are not a garlic-lover then omit the fresh garlic completely. This makes a lot of dip but you can cut the recipe in half if desired.
- 2 lbs Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chilies, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups shredded old cheddar cheese (or to taste)
- Prepare a greased 2 to 3-quart casserole dish.
- In a skillet cook the sausage with onions and garlic breaking the meat up with a spoon while cooking; cook until until meat is no longer pink, drain fat set aside.
- Drain the diced tomatos with green chiles, but reserve 1/2 cup liquid.
- In a bowl mix the cooked sausage mixture with the diced tomato and green chiles, reserved 1/2 cup liquid and the softened cream cheese; mix very well to combine.
- Season with a few drops of Tabasco or to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese; return to oven and bake about 5-7 minutes more.
- Serve with corn chips.