1/5 Photos of Fantastic Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake
This addition of sour cream in this coffee cake makes it so moist and delicious! This is one of my all-time favorite cake recipes, I have even made this cake with fresh blueberries adding in 1 tsp almond extract to replace the vanilla, or you can even add it in when using apples --- this cake is fantastic without the topping and just used as a white cake --- I usually double the brown sugar topping and spread half of the cake batter in the pan then sprinkle half of the topping then top with remaining batter, the batter will not really cover the topping mix if you are using a 13x9-inch pan but not to worry it will bake together just fine and besides you will be sprinkling the remaining batter on top anyway! --- serve this with whipped cream or ice cream, *SO* delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup shortening (Crisco is good)
- 1 cup sugar (or more or less to suit taste)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract or 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 medium apples, peeled and finely chopped (or 5 small apples)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Set oven rack to second-lowest position.
- 3Grease a 13 x 9-inch baking pan (this can also be made in an 11 x 7-inch baking pan).
- 4In a mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar for a couple of minutes.
- 5Add in the eggs and vanilla or almond extract (if using); beat for about 5 minutes.
- 6In a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- 7Add to creamed mixture alternating with sour cream.
- 8Fold in the apples.
- 9Spread the batter into prepared baking pan.
- 10In a small bowl, combine the nuts, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter.
- 11Sprinkle the nut mixture evenly over the batter.
- 12Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the cake tests done.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fantastic Apple Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Serving Size: 1 (153 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.2
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 46.0 mg
- Sodium 269.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 32.9 g
- Protein 4.7 g