1 hr 25 mins
This is better than any bread pudding!!! This is best served at room temperature, yeah right, just try and wait that long, you will have it half gone before it even reaches room temperature LOL! it is THAT good, try this, you will LOVE IT! Dried cherries can be used in place of the dried apricots and raisins can be replaced for the cranberries, I use Ocean Spray Craisins when I make this! If you prefer a less sweeter kugel then reduce the white sugar to 1-1/4 cups or less.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large baking apples (use Granny smith if possible, cored and medium diced)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 6 plain matzohs (broken into 2-3-inch pieces, use unsalted matzoh)
- 1 cup warm water
- 8 large eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon (can use more)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter (or use margarine)
- 1 1/4 cups dried cranberries (I use Ocean Spray Craisins for this)
- 1 1/4 cups dried apricots, chopped coarsely
- 5 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small pieces) or 5 tablespoons margarine (cut into small pieces)
- 2 tablespoons sugar (use white or brown sugar for sprinkling)
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease a 3-quart casserole dish (you can also make this in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish, I used my 3-quart Corning Ware casserole dish for this).
- 3In a bowl toss the apple pieces with 1/3 cup brown sugar (can use less than 1/3 cup sugar if desired) and 1/4 cup fresh orange juice; set aside.
- 4In another bowl soak the matzoh pieces in 1 cup warm water until soft but not mushy; set aside.
- 5While the matzoh is soaking, in a large bowl whisk the eggs until well blended; add in the salt, cinnamon, 1-1/2 cups sugar, melted butter, cranberries (or Craisins) and chopped dried apricots; mix to combine.
- 6Gently squeeze the liquid from the matzohs (don't worry about squeezing all of the water out completely!) add to the egg mixture along with the chopped apples; mix very well.
- 7Transfer the mixture into greased baking dish.
- 8Sprinkle lightly with about 2 tablespoons white or brown sugar, then dot all over with the cold butter pieces.
- 9Bake covered with foil for about 40 minutes.
- 10Remove from oven uncover, then return and bake uncovered for another 20 minutes, or until the casserole is set.
- 11Serve at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fantastic Apple-Cranberry Apricot Matzoh Kugel!
Serving Size: 1 (425 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.3
- Calories from Fat 431
- Total Fat 47.8 g
- Saturated Fat 26.9 g
- Cholesterol 471.1 mg
- Sodium 922.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 180.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 146.8 g
- Protein 17.3 g