Recipe by Sassy Syrah
This is a fairly easy soup, although it might seem a little time consuming the result is well worth it. Depending on how thick you like your soup, you may need to add a little stock, I find it doesn't need it though..
Top Review by evelyn/athens
Wonderful tomato soup. Roasting the tomatoes and garlic added so much richness and took this up to another plane altogether. The tapenade just came through and gave a nice little edge to the soup. A definite keeper.
- 8 roma tomatoes
- 800 g canned tomatoes
- 1 head garlic, halved into wheels
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomato tapenade
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- salt and pepper
- fresh basil (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Halve the tomatoes, and place in a baking tray with the bulb of garlic.
- Sprinkle with dried herbs.
- Season to taste.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake at 150C for around 2 to 3 hours.
- Transfer to a stockpot, squeezing all the garlic out of its paper.
- Add tinned tomatoes, and heat until warm.
- Add tapenade and blitz in a food processor.
- Add cream, stir through and return to heat, but do not boil cream.