Recipe by A Messy Cook
These awesome cookies have the Picky Sibling Seal of Approval. They're sweet, chewy, and just plain GOOD!, and because they're made with whole grains, honey and fruit -- no refined anything -- my dessert-loving brothers and sister can have as much as they want! (Well, within reason, of course.) Oh, and they're egg- and lactose free. :-) I bake these on a Pampered Chef baking stone, so the cooking time will probably be less if you use a regular metal baking sheet. This recipe is the result of playing around with MartiniQueeni's Ginger Oat Cookies -- they're definitely different enough to claim as my own recipe, but a lot of the ingredients and proportions are similar. So if you like these cookies, try hers too!
- 1 medium ripe banana
- almond butter or natural-style peanut butter
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2-1 cup dried currants or 1⁄2-1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash banana in glass measuring cup; add enough almond butter to make 1/2 cup.
- Combine banana/almond butter mixture, honey, applesauce and vanilla in small bowl.
- Combine remaining ingredients in large bowl, add banana mixture, and stir until completely blended.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls on greased baking stone (or sheet); flatten slightly.
- Bake at 350° for 15 minutes, or until done.