1/65 Photos of Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni & Cheese
- Carla -'s Note:
To me Fannie Farmer's recipe is the only "real" Macaroni & Cheese. It's from my 1946 edition of "Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook". With time on it's side - this recipe is hands down the best for traditional, homemade baked macaroni & cheese - comfort food. Please Note: If you use CHEAP CHEESE you will end up with a BLAND and FLAVORLESS DISH!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan melt butter.
- 4Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir until well blended.
- 5Pour milk and cream in gradually; stirring constantly.
- 6Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes (stirring constantly).
- 7Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly) 10 minutes.
- 8Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.
- 9Turn off flame.
- 10Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.
- 11Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish.
- 12Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- 13Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
- 14(You can also freeze this recipe in zip-lock bags for later use - once you have mixed the macaroni along with the cheese sauce allow to cool to room temperature before adding to your freezer - I generally pull it out the night before and allow macaroni and cheese to reach room temperature; I then add the macaroni and cheese to a buttered baking dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and then bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown on top and bubbling.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni & Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 836.2
- Calories from Fat 473
- Total Fat 52.6 g
- Saturated Fat 32.4 g
- Cholesterol 164.7 mg
- Sodium 895.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 27.5 g