Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Secrets of Hungarian cooking.
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- 1 pint milk, scalded and cooled
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 7 cups flour, divided
- oil (for frying)
- Dissolve yeast in warm milk; add 2 cups flour and let stand in warm place for 1/2 hour.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light; add to the yeast mixture.
- Add 5 cups flour and melted butter; let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Place dough on floured surface and pat with hands until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into circles with doughnut cutter.
- Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees Fahrenheit; deep fry until golden.
Authentic for sure! My grandmother from Hungary always made these for Christmas! Truly a family favorite from my grnadmother to my mother and now to me and my family! Recipe coincides with the handwritten one from my grandmother! Make sure they are shaken in enough powdered sugar!