Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I found a version of this recipe on the web somewhere years ago. My husband wanted a roast with a brown sauce, not the normal tomato base. When I recently made this he loved it. I made some adjustments to it to suite my husbands picky…err… I mean discerning taste. This recipe is more like a base because there is so much you could do to make this your own. I bet this would be great in the crockpot as well!
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 onions (sliced)
- 3 -4 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 cup carrot (amount and type to suit your taste, I use baby carrots)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups wine (use your favorite, I use Riesling)
- 5 -6 fresh thyme sprigs
- ground salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Heat olive oil in a large cast iron dutch oven, over medium heat.
- Sauté onion until golden.
- Thoroughly dredge the beef in flour, covering all surfaces.
- Add to the pan and brown on all sides.
- Add the carrots, beef broth, wine, thyme, black pepper, and salt.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is falling apart tender, turning the meat occasionally (it took me about five hours).
- When meat is falling apart tender, remove it from the broth along with the thyme sprigs and veggies.
- Add cornstarch to water, stir until dissolved and add to broth stirring until thickened.
- Remove from heat.
While they ate what was on their plates, no one asked for seconds and no one has touched the leftovers. A lot of work for a dish that my family just felt was okay.
very good, hubby really liked it. he loves roasts but i can never find one that doesn't have tomatoes in it. this was really good and the gravy was good too. i used a pinot grigio from a local winery, hubby drank all the riesling, and was very tasty. i liked the mildness of the white as opposed to a red. thanks!
This was a great recipe. I used all of the ingredients except carrots and cut the wine in half. (My husband doesn't care for the taste.) After 4 and a half hours, the roast was falling apart tender. My kids even came back for seconds. They never do that! Thank you Molidol for a fantastic roast. Picture are coming.