3 hrs 30 mins
I found a version of this recipe on the web somewhere years ago. My husband wanted a roast with a brown sauce, not the normal tomato base. When I recently made this he loved it. I made some adjustments to it to suite my husbands picky…err… I mean discerning taste. This recipe is more like a base because there is so much you could do to make this your own. I bet this would be great in the crockpot as well!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 -3 onions (sliced)
- 3 -4 lbs bottom round beef roast
- 1/2 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1 cup carrot (amount and type to suit your taste, I use baby carrots)
- 4 cups beef broth
- 3 cups wine (use your favorite, I use Riesling)
- 5 -6 fresh thyme sprigs
- ground salt & pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1Heat olive oil in a large cast iron dutch oven, over medium heat.
- 2Sauté onion until golden.
- 3Thoroughly dredge the beef in flour, covering all surfaces.
- 4Add to the pan and brown on all sides.
- 5Add the carrots, beef broth, wine, thyme, black pepper, and salt.
- 6Reduce heat, cover and simmer until meat is falling apart tender, turning the meat occasionally (it took me about five hours).
- 7When meat is falling apart tender, remove it from the broth along with the thyme sprigs and veggies.
- 8Add cornstarch to water, stir until dissolved and add to broth stirring until thickened.
- 9Remove from heat.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fancy Yankee Pot Roast
Serving Size: 1 (275 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 730.3
- Calories from Fat 361
- Total Fat 40.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 145.6 mg
- Sodium 527.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 48.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
bottom round beef roast
fresh thyme sprigs