Recipe by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
I served this to a crowd of 50 women at my sis's bridal shower about 20 years ago. They loved it, as did I. What makes it "fancy"? It has whipping cream as an ingredient. My notes says it's from page 321 of Better Homes & Garden Cookbook.
- 4 medium red apples, cored and diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup red grapes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 1 dash ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Bowl 1: Combine fruits, celery and walnuts.
- Bowl 2: Combine mayo, sugar and lemon juice.
- Pour whipping cream into chilled bowl. Whip until it forms stiff peaks.
- Fold whipping cream into mayonnaise.
- Spoon over fruit, sprinkle with nutmeg and fold to coat.
- Can be refrigerated for 2-24 hours before serving. Serve cold.
- I prefer to serve within hours of making and not refrigerate over night.