Recipe by WhoKnew?
A special way to treat the much-maligned canned tuna. This looks like it would be amazing (though it will take some time to put together)! Found this recipe in "The Ultimate Cooking Course", 2003.
- 3⁄4 lb lasagna noodle (or fresh)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- salt & pepper
- 2 (7 ounce) cans tuna, drained & flaked
- 2 pimientos, canned, well drained, seeded, and cut into strips
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
White Sauce (use 2 1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook lasagne noodles in salted water until almost al dente. Rinse in colander with cold water, then drain on dish towel.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- MAKE WHITE SAUCE:.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in 3 tablespoons flour to make a smooth, soft paste (roux). Add 1/2 cup milk and mix well with whisk. When combined, add additional 1 1/2 cups milk. Return to med-high heat and bring to boil, whisking constantly. When sauce bubbles & begins to thicken, reduce to very low heat and simmer gently for 5-10 min, whisking occasionally. Add 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg and some salt/pepper to taste.
- Melt butter in saucepan, and cook onion in butter until soft. Add garlic & mushrooms; cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in wine (if using). Boil 1 minute. Add white sauce, cream, and parsley; season to taste.
- Spoon thin layer of sauce onto bottom of 9x12 baking dish. Cover with layer of lasagne noodles. Scatter half of the tuna, pimientos, peas, and shredded mozzarella over noodles.
- Spoon 1/3 of remaining sauce over the top and cover with another layer of noodles.
- Repeat layers, ending with lasagne noodles & sauce.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan and bake until bubbling hot and the top is lightly browned (35-40 min).